Thursday, September 21, 2017

Sails of Silver

 I grew up listening to Steeleye Span, my parents loved them and so did my sisters and I. While listening to music one day I knew the chorus from Sails of Silver would make a great wallhanging.
I started with a vague plan, I knew I wanted to paper piece the letters and it needed a boat. I used the Refridgerator Magnets by Elizabeth Hartman. It is not a paper piecing pattern (it uses a different method), but if you have had some experience you can work out how to use them. 

 I'm no expert, there was much ripping out and swearing, but I eventually made all the letters.
 Next I googled images of sail boats and then drew up a generic one in Electric Quilt. It is not obvious in the photo, but the sails are made from a silver fabric I found in Bunbury at Craft Collections. I think it is this one from Kaufman. 
 For a bit of contrast with all the paper piecing and to add some extra colour I improv pieced some waves using different blues and more of the silver.
 To put it all together I placed it all on the design board and starting with the letters I joined one line and then the next, I just worked on adding one more section at a time and gradually it all came together.
I really enjoyed the process of making this quilt. I don't often go into making a quilt without having the whole thing mapped out, but it was quite enjoyable seeing where it went. Now to think about how to quilt it.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I love this so much Kate! I remember an uncle of mine being very into Steeleye Span, it's a bit of a 70s childhood memory. That's a lovely lyric and I just love the whole balance and aesthetic of this quilt.